After a month of stressing about exams and forgetting to eat, my first year of university is finally over. I has been an interesting 8 months, with some whirlwind emotions but I can definitely say that I have not regretted a second. For anyone planning to go to university, here are some things I have noticed along the way.
1) There will be a morning where you wake up still drunk (it happens to the best of us).
2) You will question the hygiene of most people at some point – going into another’s kitchen may make you feel like you need latex gloves and a gas mask.
3) When you have nothing to do, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO DO.
4) When you have lots to do, YOU HAVE LOTS TO DO.
5) Day drinking is perfectly acceptable.
6) Cooking becomes an experiment every night.
7) People you were close to in Freshers will not always stick around.
8) Every decision has to be weighed up by how much money you have in your pocket.
9) Falling asleep in a lecture is perfectly normal.
10) You can wear whatever you want and no one will question it – even the clothes from the night before.
11) You will have photos taken of you that you have no recollection of.
12) Strangers are a lot friendlier when drunk.
13) There will be nights when your neighbours / flatmates are just too loud in the middle of the night.
14) Take-aways will become your friend.
15) Most people put on weight during Freshers. Completely normal.
16) You will miss the little things while away from home (for me it was bad TV).
17) Almost everyone has questioned whether uni is for them and if they should drop out.
18) There are so many people to talk to if you have problems.
19) The cleaners clean, but they will not do your washing up for you – that’s all your responsibility.
20) Rotas for the housework are rarely followed.
21) There will always be that one flatmate that really annoys you.
22) Every day is a learning curve.
23) You will appreciate all that others have done for you before ever.
24) Freshers flu is a thing – so be well prepared for the killer headaches.
25) Take time to enjoy university! People reminisce and remember some of their best times at uni, so have as much fun as possible (as well as working hard).