Hey all! I am now counting down the days until I start University (22 days), and I have hit preparation mode. Who knew there was so much to remember before packing your bags? For anyone going to university/college soon – here are 11 things to do before university.
- Make sure the course is definitely for you – when finding the perfect balance between work and social life, it would be much harder to convince yourself to study a subject you are not interested in. It is also relatively easy to change your course should it not be right, just have a word with your uni.
- Apply for accommodation as soon as possible. I did it 5 months before my uni start date, and got my ideal room, meeting all requirements and in the perfect location.
- If you are in need of a student loan, or maintenance loan, make sure you send off your application at least 2 months before your start date (applications take up to 6 weeks to process), ensuring your rent is paid well before your arrival date.
- To hold all that extra money (maintenance loans are handed out in lump sums), create a student bank account. These are purpose made for students, and some come with added perks (Santander for example offer a free 4 year 16 – 25 railcard). To make your money go that much further, explore the student discounts available to you.
- Get to know people on your course. Everyone is in the same position of not knowing anyone, so speaking to others before you go to uni can ease any nerves or concerns.
- Find out more about where you are moving to, it will make the first few weeks less daunting. This is the place where you’ll be for the next few years, so it is always great to know all the local hot spots on arrival.
- Work out how you’ll travel from your accommodation to campus, and ensure you have all the permits and passes you need to do so.
- Make a list of things you will need to take, and things you won’t. It is always best to take less than more, and purchase from the local shops as and when. Also, don’t forget to bring fancy dress, it is a freshers week essential!
- Learn how to budget – there is nothing worse than getting to the last week of term to find that you can’t afford food. Work out a weekly budget and don’t forget to allocate bills first!
- Making friends can be tough, and a long three years without any. Use social media and Facebook groups to meet new people before you even arrive!
- Learn some staple recipes before you go to uni. You do not want to be stressing out on cooking everyday, so make it as simple and convenient as you can for yourself, while still having a balanced diet.
- Most importantly, don’t stress out! Everyone is in the same boat, so just enjoy the experience as much as you can!
Do you have any things to do before university?